Phytotherapy is the evidence-based use of plants and plant-based products for medicinal purposes. Our phytotherapeutic protocol, known as Sapienta, is a scientific model for achieving neurological balance through nature. It prescribes plant-derived supplements, based on a neurotransmitter test, that promote healing of the brain and emotional and physical well-being.
Neurotransmitters regulate our mood, longings or cravings, our addictions, energy levels, libido, and sleep patterns; they control our ability to concentrate, learn, remember, and manage stress in our daily lives.
Stress, poor nutrition, substance abuse, emotional disorders, age, and different environmental factors may affect regular functioning of the brain. You can maintain and improve your brain’s functioning, mood, memory, orientation, mental speed, understanding and restful sleep, along with preventing illnesses like Alzheimer's and dementia.
Sapientia is a food supplement combining plants, vitamins, minerals and amino acids which help maintain normal functioning in the brain. Its formulation aims at balancing the four main neurotransmitters: dopamine, GABA, serotonin, and acetylcholine. The Sapientia formulation is based on research of how nutrition affects brain functioning and biochemical balance. Research performed by Dr. Rodolfo Llinas at the NYU School of Medicine has shown how the biochemical imbalance in the brain causes illnesses. This what Dr. Llinas calls “limit effect,” or the amplification of small electrical imbalances caused by health disorders. By reversing this process and improving brain conductivity by balancing neurotransmitters, a healthy state is achieved where illnesses can be prevented and well-being enhanced.
Composition, Mechanism of Action of Sapientia Components
Neurotransmitters are responsible for generating or regulating electrical transmissions between neurons, resulting in proper brain voltage, rhythm, synchronicity and speed, which in turn translates into memory, attention, personality, temperament and physical health. Sapientia’s formulation aims to restore a precise balance among the following elements:
- Aminoacid: Alpha Lipoic Acid, Choline Bitartrate, L Taurine, L-Phenylalanine, L-Lysine, Phosphatidylserine, and GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid)
- Magnesium citrate: Which, together with Adenosine Triphosphate, promotes energy metabolism in the cell, and also supports muscular and bone function. Magnesium is involved in over 300 functions in the human body.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant in brain and retina cells. Although the properties of this vitamin have been studied for years, their neurotransmission role in the central nervous system was practically unknown until now. A recent scientific study confirms that vitamin C is a modulator of GABA receptors activity.
- Vitamin D3: Required to absorb calcium and fix it in bones and teeth, it contributes to healthy
immune system and pancreas, and is involved in the health of several tissues, among which are the colon, breasts, prostate, and muscular strength in senior adults.
Huperizine A (0.2% Huperizine) is deemed to be a nootropic. Nootropics are also known as
cognitive enhancers. Huperizine is a compound extracted from the Chinese club moss “Qian Ceng Ta,” which is proven to enhance learning and memory processes by inhibiting the presence of acetylcholine in the brain. It enhances short-term memory and, in senior adults, is shown to aid long-term memory.
Bluenesse® Extract of Melissa officinalis (6% rosmarinic acid), which inhibits GABA transaminase, thus increasing GABA levels in the body and helping to relax the central nervous system without causing drowsiness. It activates the M1 muscarinic receptors, which are responsible for efficient information flow between neurons; it inhibits the enzyme Monoamine oxidase B, which prevents dopamine from being broken down, helping to promote a better mood and reduce anxiety. And lastly, it inhibits phosphodiesterase, which breaks down Cyclic adenosine monophosphate, necessary to build “long-term potentiation” of signal transmission between neurons involved in learning and memory processes.
- Withania somnifera (1,5% withanolides and 1% alkaloids), a plant used in Ayurvedic medicine
with the name Ashwagandha, which has proven to have an effect on muscarinic receptors, besides its antioxidant, antitumor, anti-stress, anti-inflammatory, immunomodulatory, hematopoietic, anxiolytic, aphrodisiac, antidepressant effects. It also plays a major role in prevention and treatment of CNS disorders such as Parkinson and Alzheimer disease, late dyskinesias, cerebral ischemia, as well as managing impulses around drug addiction.
- Ocimum sanctum ( 2% ursolic acid), used in Ayurvedic medicine, known as purple or holy basil, in Sanskrit it is known as Tulsi, which means “matchless”. Among its proven properties it has anticancer, antioxidant, antibacterial, antitussive, hypoglycemic, anxiolytic (due to its action on the GABAergic system) effects, it protects the CNS (in patients with drug-induced catalepsy or prevents extrapyramidal effects caused by the use of drugs), it protects against radiation, against myocardium conditions (by suppressing oxidative stress), with antidiabetic (by stimulating insulin secretion) and hepatoprotective action (through its antioxidant action).
- Centella asiatica (3% Asiaticosides) plant used in Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Also named gotu kola or “Brahmi”, meaning “which brings knowledge from the supreme reality”, it has been used in Eastern meditative practices because it revitalizes the central nervous system, improving memory and concentration by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase and increasing acetylcholine levels, as well as promoting neuroprotective activity by potentiating the phosphorylation response in cyclic adenosine monophosphate. Other proven therapeutic actions are: anti-inflammatory, antiviral, tonic, cleanser, antihypertensive, diuretic, immunoregulatory, neuroprotector with sedating and tonic action. It improves circulation disorders, varicose veins, wound healing.
-Shisandra chinensis (1% Shisandrina). An adaptogen plant also used in Chinese medicine, it is
considered a restorative and vitality tonic helpful in very stressful situations. It has proven to reduce corticosteroids and hepatic damage from stress. Another cognitive enhancing property of this plant is its acetylcholinesterase-inhibiting action, which increases acetylcholine levels. It is deemed a Ginseng substitute, except it can be taken for long periods of time. It also has antirheumatic, antitussive, aphrodisiac, astringent, cardiotonic effects.
Sapientia food supplement was provided number NUT/PL/AS 3488/1 by the Federal State Service for Public Health of Belgium, after due procedure where it was evaluated in depth and its marketing was authorized. Such authorization, being issued by a health of a country member of the European Union, under the mutual acknowledgment principle, is, after the due procedures, acknowledged by the Spanish Authorities.
The entity SAPIENTIA NATURAL, S.L., C.I.F. B8773323, corporate address at calle Comunidad
Canaria n°. 7 bloque 2-3°D, 28660 de Boadilla del Monte, Madrid, Spain, EU, a corporation
recorded before the Madrid Commercial Records Office, 1st recording in page M-638537 folio 95 volume 35526 of the file in the general section for corporations, phone number 911 196 383 is the entity responsible for the distribution and marketing of the Sapientia food supplement.
On June 27, 2017, SAPIENTIA NATURAL, S.L. fulfilled the legal application requirements for
Recording before the Food Industries Record of the Community of Madrid, and the notice of first issuance in the national market of a food supplement before the corresponding Spanish Authority (Consejeria de Sanidad de la Comunidad de Madrid).
Sapientia has been manufactured in Spain (European Union) by Latoratorios Rioja Nature Pharma, S.L. Health Record Number 26.10.201/LO. Sapientia is a trademark registered by the juridical entity SAPIENTIA NATURAL, S.L.